Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Ellen's Birth Story

The last four weeks have been such an amazing blessing.  The days have been filled with joy beyond all measure and also challenges to test our strength.  We have learned you can't earn your parent title without a little work.  :)  We love watching every precious move Ellen makes and our nights are filled with little sleep but endless cuddles. 

Now that Ellen has started to have more predictable patterns I have a little time to update my blog and share lots of pictures from the day Ellen was born.  I want to have a place where I can someday show Ellen how many people have loved her since the moment she entered the world. 


On March 1, 2014 I was extremely pregnant and wishing everyday to meet my precious baby.  I was recovering from an eight day cold that had made my last week of pregnancy very uncomfortable.  My Mom and Dad were in town.  Dad was back from California for the week.  We had been praying that baby girl would arrive before his flight left on March 2nd.  As the weekend approached it became clear he would probably miss the blessed event.  Or so we thought....


On Saturday (March 1st) I was feeling better and wanted to get out and walk as much as possible.  So Mom and I went on a shop until baby drops trip.  :)  We shopped for most of the day and had a relaxing Panera lunch by the fireplace.  It was a wonderful day and I even picked up a couple cute extra outfits incase baby girl was smaller then I had thought.  Little did I know this would be my last few hours pregnant.

This little purple outfit we took Ellen home in was a find on our shopping trip. 
That night Drew and I went to bed like always.  I collapsed after our long shopping day and I had no indication as to what was about to take place.  At 11:50pm I woke up to a strange sensation.  It didn't take me too long to realize that my water had just broke!  I woke up Drew and we called the hospital and they said it was time for me to come.  The weather was bitter cold and on our way to the hospital light snowflakes were falling.  It was a perfect night to start our parenthood journey.

This is a picture of me as we are leaving for the hospital that night!  I look a little scared.  :)
Once we arrived at the hospital it didn't take long for the nurses to confirm that my water had broken and it was time to get me checked in.  We were the only patients on the birthing side of the unit so we got rock star treatment.  Even though my water had broken I was only dilated 1cm.  With Mom and Dad in a hotel room in town we decided not to call anyone until more was happening.  We figured we all didn't need to lose sleep.  All night Drew and I walked the halls to try to get my body to start labor on its own.  However, even with all my hard work nothing was happening when the sun came up.  So at 6am they began medicine to start my contractions. 


After the medicine was started we began calling and waking up all of our family with the good news that baby girl was going to be born.  I was making no progress so we encouraged everyone to take their time coming to the hospital.  My contractions started around 7am (the medicine most certainly worked). 


At around 9-10am (I'm slightly fuzzy on the time) all of the family began arriving.  It was perfect timing because I was in lots of pain and in need of distractions!  We had lots of laughs and tears together anticipating baby girls arrival.  I can't explain how full my heart was at that moment.  We were surrounded by all those we love most!  It made our experience so special.  We have one amazing family!  For the record my Mom was with us but she was busy taking pictures.  :)

Nothing like photos between contractions.  :)  The hospital robe is not attractive but I love the memory of our family being with us at the hospital. 
The rest of the day was very uneventful.  The family came in and out and spent lots of time in the waiting room.  Drew and I tried to get rest but I was so uncomfortable I got little sleep.  By the afternoon I still had not made any progress but my contractions were very intense.  I finally got an epidural and got relief for a short time.  My epidural did not work in one spot.  The doctor tried to get me more comfortable but the pain did not leave. 

By 8:15pm I had still made no progress and my epidural was not completely working.  I was still only dilated 2cm.  The plan was for me to have my epidural removed and replaced.  Just before doctor came to replace it the nurse checked and I was 10cm dilated and baby was coming in minutes.  From that moment on things happened very quickly.

Ellen Elizabeth Henning was born at 9:10pm.  She weighed 6lbs 14oz and was 20 inches long.  Right after she was delivered she was put on my chest.  During the next hour she was with me and was able to nurse right away.  She was absolutely perfect! 

After such a long labor I was so happy watching Drew cuddle and love on her during the next couple of hours.  All the family was able to come in and meet her.  We were able to share her name and celebrate her arrival into the world! 

Ellen is an amazing gift from God.  We are truly blessed to be her parents and we can't wait to watch her grow and change over the years.  Below are pictures from the greatest day of our life.  We will treasure these memories forever!  We love you sweet Ellen!

My first moments with Ellen.

Our new little family.


I love this one!  It captures all the emotions.  :)  Marcia and my Mom were both able to be with us in the room for delivery.

Ellen's fan club waiting outside the door for her arrival. 

One proud Dad!



It was so special that my Dad was able to be there for Ellen's arrival!  Answer to prayer indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment