Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Heber

Three years ago today Drew and I adopted our golden retriever Heber.  He has had us wrapped around his paw ever since.
Three years ago I was really battling with my POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome).  It had become so difficult that we had made the decision that I would not return to my kindergarten teaching job the following year.  This broke my heart.  I loved my job and I was having trouble dealing with all of my health issues. 

We decided that it might be a good time for us to add a dog to our family.  We knew with my medical problems that a puppy was out of the question.  We had heard many good things about G.R.R.I.N (Golden Retriever Rescue in Nebraska).  We began the process of adopting a dog through this organization. 

In order to adopt a golden retriever we had a phone interview and a home visit.  It was then time to wait for a dog that fit our needs.  Going into the process we wanted a small petite female.  Luckily our case manager suggested we take a visit to a golden that was in a foster placement in Lincoln.  She really felt that he would be a great fit for our family.
So we drove down to Lincoln to meet Heber.  From the moment we met him we were hooked.  He was a huge male but he was perfect!  Here are a couple cell phone pictures from our first meeting.  I was in love! 

I love this one because I think Drew looks so scared! 

We were hooked!
We had to wait 24 hours before officially deciding that Heber was the dog for us.  We didn’t need 24 hours.  We were in love!  Before entering into the GRRIN program Heber lived on a farm.  His owner died and the family could not take him.  We always joke that he has had the best life.  First he got a life in the country and now a life in the city. 
On May 8th Heber came to live with us at 6218!  It was such a wonderful day!  I immediately knew he was going to help me so much emotionally through my health battle.  Heber is a shadow.  He goes everywhere we go and hates to be left alone.  We are both sure that he thinks he is a human! 
This is the day we got him!  You can tell by his tongue he was a little excited!
During my battle with POTS Heber was always there.  On days when I couldn’t even get off the couch he would loyally lay right next to me.  Some days I would just lay and pet him for hours.  He saw me through some of my hardest days.  Pet therapy really works! 

I want to thank all of the GRRIN volunteers for all their hard work rescuing and placing golden retrievers.  I especially want to thank anyone who helped with the placement of Heber into our life!  He is such a treasure to us and we couldn’t imagine any other dog in our life! 
Family picture at a GRRIN event.
 
Walking the red carpet at a GRRIN event.

Supporting the Huskers and GRRIN.

Time for Christmas!
 
Playing in the snow at Walnut Creek.  Heber LOVES the snow!
 
Swimming in Lake Dillion in the Colorado Rockies!

 

1 comment:

  1. This is such a sweet post, Annie! Heber is one lucky dog!

    ReplyDelete